If your tooth has become infected, root canal therapy can help clear up the infection and possibly even save your tooth from eventual extraction. At Cayce Family Dentistry, we are committed to making sure you are as comfortable and pain-free as possible before, during and after the procedure.
Root canal therapy is one of the most common dental procedures performed today. Despite what you may think, a root canal does not cause pain. In fact, root canals are performed to relieve pain caused by inflammation of the infected area.
We begin this procedure by numbing the area around the infected tooth. Then we work to get rid of the pulp from the tooth and, finally, we fill the inside part of your tooth below the gumline with medicine and a filling material that’s cemented into the root of the tooth. Typically, a root-canal-treated tooth can last you a lifetime.
These symptoms might indicate you need root canal therapy:
- Moderate to severe toothache that may throb and be sensitive to cold or heat
- Swelling in your gum that may release blood or pus
- Pain that begins in the tooth and can spread to the jaw, ear or head
- Very painful toothache that keeps you up at night
- Pain when biting down or eating food
If you think you need a root canal, contact us today for help!